PART-TIME FINANCE OFFICER, BERKELEY
YLabs are seeking a part-time Finance Officer to support effective financial management and planning. You’ll be working in a vibrant, multi-disciplinary team that combines expertise in health, economics, and design. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for working in service towards empowering young people, as well as financial management expertise. You’d join our growing Finance and Operations Team and report to the Director of Programs to ensure all grant requirements and financial obligations are met. You will be responsible for processing the day-to-day financial activities of the organization as well as creating and maintaining effective financial practices. Additionally, this position will provide support to the rest of the organization by promoting our financial policies and practices and timely financial reporting and modeling to support senior management in strategic decision-making.
Excited about the opportunity to work closely with project teams to support project and organizational planning;
A self-starter - able to operate autonomously, while also having the judgment to seek guidance as appropriate and gracefully accept and apply constructive feedback;
Passionate about our mission to design solutions with youth that measurably improve their lives;
Enthusiastic to work as part of a dynamic and supportive multi-disciplinary team of designers, public health specialists, writers and evaluation experts;
Able to work under pressure to deliver and meet deadlines;
Passionate about social impact, global health and youth;
Skillful in navigating different cultural and geographic contexts;
A natural collaborator who understands how to build strong relationships with our clients, partners, and donors;
Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment;
Highly organized, proactive and flexible.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or Business Administration;
Advanced proficiency in Quickbooks online;
Advanced proficiency in Office Suite and Google Apps;
Proven financial analysis skills;
Strong analytical skills and an obsessive attention to detail, including proven ability to successfully juggle multiple deadlines without letting anything slip through the cracks;
Excellent written and oral communication.
You will be responsible for:
- Budget preparation, implementation, monitoring and reviews;
- Verify all budgeted expenses on a monthly basis against the actual expenses.
- Development and implementation of internal controls to ensure compliance, transparency, and effective utilization of resources.
- Maintain accounting records to show receipts, expenditures, and balances;
- General ledger, account receivables and payables, and operating expenses;
- Reconcile bank accounts and manage month-end closing process;
- Process and code all financial transactions in Quickbooks;
- Update cash flow tracking documents.
- Project Management
- Support project planning: develop budget models, timelines, budget, and staffing plans for current and future projects.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors;
- Grant expense tracking by project;
- Create and send invoices and follow-up on payment status as appropriate.
- Manage payroll for staff and contractors;
- Provide payroll information by answering questions and requests;
- Resolve payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Prepare the 990 and schedule and compile all required financial documentation.
Experience in non-profit financial management, preferably at small size non-profits with complex and diverse funding bases;
Second language: French, Swahili, Urdu;
Project management experience;
Previous experience working on health, education or employment programs.
This role is based in Berkeley, California and will be 3 days per week with the possibility of turning into a full-time role. Applicants must be legally able to work and live in the US. Please note that we cannot sponsor visa applications for this role.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.